Jammu and Kashmir National Park is home to a variety of species and animals. It is known for its snow-capped mountains, and lush greenery all around. The area is surrounded by Chirpine forests.
How Many National Parks Are There In Jammu and Kashmir?
There are 5 national parks in Jammu and Kashmir. Not only national parks and wildlife sanctuaries but Jammu and Kashmir also have the crown of being the largest national park. The tourist hotspot is covered with green meadows. The park is also well-known for Kashmir stag in this region.
Very few people know about Shikaras and Dal Lake. There is a record of having National Parks in Kashmir. Moreover, the valley is a complete residence to diverse species of the ecosystem.
The tourism sector in Jammu & Kashmir is now getting very well developed and popular. The national park is situated in Srinagar. There are other popular national parks also in Jammu & Kashmir. You can download the map for getting the right direction of the Dachigam National Park.
Which places near Dachigam National Park are worth visiting?
Dachigam National Park is located about 22 km. The place is in Srinagar. There is a village named ten villages. The name is given after the 10 villages which are located near the national park in Jammu & Kashmir. Every national park was announced to be a protected area in 1910.
Dachigam National Park was established with the initial ideology of supplying clean drinking water to the entire city of Srinagar. In this national park, you will not only see varieties of animals but also enjoy seeing species of butterflies all around. The colorful butterflies make the parks a worthy place to visit.
The top 6 Places near Dachigam National Park
Srinagar: Located at a distance of 22 km from Dachigam National Park, Srinagar is a beautiful city. This place is the summer capital of J&K. It is a wonderful holiday destination placed at a height of 1730 meters above sea level. The wildlife sanctuaries in Jammu are protected by the department of wildlife protection. The natural habitat of the place is the most attractive thing to consider. There are bird sanctuaries in Srinagar that attract numerous tourists every year.
Dachigam National Park: The Dachigam National Park is one of the renowned national parks in the country. The area was converted into a protected area in 1910. This is in the most elevated forest reserves at an altitude of 1700m to almost 4500m above sea level. In this park, there are wide varieties of flora and fauna. The view is mesmerizing and holistic. The national park is home to 1000+ species and wildlife in the place.
Sonamarg: Sonmarg is a place situated at a local distance of 28.7 Km from the Dachigam national park. The most important thing is that in this place one can easily move out of the city’s hustle and bustle. Whenever you are in Jammu and Kashmir, stealing some moments out from solitude is one of the right adventures in the place. Dachigam national park is home to fantastic species of birds, animals, and many more. There are 14 wildlife sanctuaries but out of which only 5 are highly recommendable for a visit.
Pahalgam: Pahalgam is situated at a distance of 30 Km from the national park of Dachigam national park. The weather of the place is just too good for anyone to enjoy the pristine beauty. It is situated at the junction of the Aru and Sheshnag Rivers. Multiple adventures and tourists are popular in the area in the summer months.
Amarnath: Holy cave of Amarnath is situated at a distance of 52 Km from the Dachigam national park. It is considered one of the holiest pilgrimages of Hindus and is visited by 1000+ every year. The place is unique for its grand picturesque view with the park situated in Srinagar. The cave is surrounded by mountains that are covered in snow.
Gulmarg: Gulmarg is located at a distance of 63.4 km. It is one of the most beautiful tourist spots in the country. The town is situated in the Pir Paranjal range in the Western Himalayas. Thus it lies within the boundaries of the Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary. The most attractive bird here is the Golden oriole. It is although rare in other parts of the country in Gulmarg you will come across a flock together.
What is the best way to reach Dachigam National Park?
The best time to visit the Dachigam national park is from May till the middle of October. Besides Dachigam, the place is well connected to the plains and major cities. You can choose air travel, trains, buses, or taxis to reach the heavenly place in the beautiful valley.
Here are ways how you can reach Dachigam national park-
- Aerial route (By connecting flights).
- Railway route (By express & mail trains).
- Road route ( By pool cars & shared cars).
What is the local food in Dachigam National Park?
When it comes to the mention of local food, Rogan Josh is one of the first mentions that will top the list. It is the signature dish that can make your visit worthy with its delicious and royal taste.
The local food in Dachigam National Park is filled with delicacies, fresh vegetables, Punjabi cuisine, Mughlai cuisine, and non-veg food dishes. The food joints in Dachigam cannot forget to carry packets of food for yourself. Moreover, there are loads of options that are available in Jammu & Kashmir.
What is the best time to visit Dachigam national park?
The best time to visit the Dachigam National Park is between April and August. This park is home to Kashmir stag and Hangul. It was discovered and crowned as a national park in 1981. Another best time to visit the park is between the months of May to September.
Sometimes people visit Jammu & Kashmir even in the middle of October. Once you are in the majestic atmosphere of Jammu and Kashmir, you will enjoy seeing wildlife like musk deer, Himalayan black bear, mouse hare, stag and brown bear, cinnamon sparrow.
There are animals like the markhor wild goat, Kashmir flying squirrel, monal, bird sanctuaries in India and a number of snow leopards as a part of the national park in the country.
Who should visit Dachigam National Park?
Trekkers who love to explore rare biodiversity and wildlife, can visit the Dachigam National Park. The park holds great potential for exploration on the foot. Tourists here can stay in the Limber Wildlife Sanctuary. There are preparations made for adventure junkies who can stay in the tents as well as the sleeping bags that are available for renting.
On the foothills lower Dachigam has an elevation of 1700 meters with the most gentle ascent. The area is covered with coniferous forests. The place is most suitable for casual trekking. There are numerous national parks all around. Hence it is best to visit between the months of May and September. Winters are too cold here in this place.
Which fact is not good for Dachigam national park?
The National park is situated in the troubled state of Kashmir. The political unrest has caused loads of problems for the tourists who come to the park. Besides this the place offers a breathtaking experience. One can visit the place all round the year. There is a broad range of flora as well as fauna that attracts numerous tourists to this same place.
What is famous about Dachigam National Park?
Dachigam National Park is famous for wildlife conservation and is home to hangul or Kashmir stag, Tibetan wolf, Himalayan serow, red fox, black, black bulbul, endangered animals.
There are migratory birds in this part of the country with meadow and park houses. The expert ornithologist is known to study the behavior, physiology along with the conservation of the birds and their activities.
The place is named after combining 10 villages (Dachi + Gam). In 1910, the area was made a national park in 1981. The area is covered by limber wildlife sanctuary and other migratory birds that can relocate travelers during visiting the time of winters.
Another popular wildlife sanctuary is Ramnagar Wildlife Sanctuary. It is located at almost 7.2 KM away from the main city of Jammu & Kashmir. The height of the place varies from 430- 615 meters above the level of the sea.
Another place known for its vibrant wildlife is Jasrota wildlife sanctuary. The Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary is on the rights of the banks of river Ujh northwards from the village Jasrota.
Have a Question about Dachigam National Park?
If you have any related questions related to Dachigam National Park, comment in the section below so that we can help you get the right suggestions. Dachigam was initially established to ensure the supply of the best information. The area has been protected since 1910.
Download National parks in Jammu and Kashmir Map HD
Download Now to get a perfectly crafted map of the following places. The pictures are clicked with majestic pictures. There are pictures of black bulbul, the jackal with rare creatures like the hill fox, cinnamon sparrow woodpecker.
What Are The National Parks In Jammu and Kashmir?
Dachigam National Park:
Dachigam national park gets its name from the 10 villages. The wildlife of this place is known for its vibrant exposures. Visitors never forget to add this place to their tour lists whenever they are in Srinagar and Jammu & Kashmir. Not only the variety of species of animals, the place has multitude of birds felicitating the atmosphere every day.
City Forest National Park:
City Forest national Park is also known as Salim Ali national Park. It is situated in Srinagar and covers an area of 9.10 square KM. The year of establishment of this park was 1981. It has a great collection of birds and animals which are considered to be rare species. This park is at a distance of approximately 12-15 KM from the Srinagar Airport.
Kishtwar National Park:
Kishtwar National Park is bounded by the Rinnay river. There are colorful flora and fauna of the place that offers great wildlife features. The National Park has a complete picturesque view on the wonderful spices of birds and animals all together.
Kazinag National Park:
Kazinag National Park is one park that happens to be the commissioned park in the district of Baramulla. This is a part of the Indian Union territory of J&K. This was a proposal that was included as a part of the trans-karakoram peace park with Pakistan. It is situated in the north of this national park of the North region of Kashmir.
Quick Revision Video for National Parks in J&K
Look into the revised video for national parks in Jammu and Kashmir for a virtual tour of this place. This video will guide you throughout a virtual tour and get a mesmerizing glimpse of Jammu & Kashmir as well as the places of attractions in the place all around.
Check out the popular national parks in Jammu & Kashmir.
Here’s A List Of Statewise National Parks in India
State: Andhra Pradesh
- Papikonda National Park 2008
- Sri Venkateswara National Park 1989
- Rajiv Gandhi National Park 2005
State: Arunachal Pradesh ( National Parks: 2)
- Namdapha National Park 1983
- Mouling National Park 1986
State: Assam ( National Parks: 5)
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park 1999
- Kaziranga National Park 1974
- Manas National Park 1990
- Rajiv gandhi Orang National Park 1999
- Nameri National Park 1998
State: Bihar ( National Parks: 1)
Valmiki National Park 1989
State: Chattisgarh ( National Parks: 3)
- Guru Ghasi Das Sanjay National Park 1981
- Indravati National Park 1982
- Kanger Valley National Park 1982
State: Goa ( National Parks: 1)
Bhagwan Mahavir Mollem National Park 1992
State: Gujarat ( National Parks: 4)
- Gir Forest National Park 1975
- Blackbuck National Park, Velavadar 1976
- Vansda National Park 1979
- Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutch 1982
State: Haryana ( National Parks: 2)
- Sultanpur National Park 1989
- Kalesar National Park 2003
State: Himachal Pradesh ( National Parks: 5)
- Great Himalayan National Park 1984
- Pin Valley National Park 1987
- Inderkilla National Park 2010
- Simbalbara National Park 2010
- Khirganga National Park 2010
State: Jammu & Kashmir ( National Parks: 4)
- Hemis National Park 1981
- Kishtwar National Park 1981
- Dachigam National Park 1981
- Salim Ali National Park 1992
State: Jharkhand ( National Parks: 1)
Betla National Park 1986
State: Karnataka ( National Parks: 5)
- Bandipur National Park 1974
- Bannerghatta National Park 1974
- Kudremukh National Park 1987
- Anshi National Park 1987
- Nagarhole Rajiv Gandhi National Park 1988
State: Kerala ( National Parks: 6)
- Eravikulam National Park 1978
- Periyar National Park 1982
- Silent Valley National Park 1984
- Mathikettan Shola National Park 2003
- Anamudi Shola National Park 2003
- Pambadum Shola National Park 2003
State: Madhya Pradesh ( National Parks: 9)
- Kanha National Park 1955
- Madhav National Park 1959
- Bandhavgarh National Park 1968
- Priyadarshini National Park 1975
- Van Vihar National Park 1979
- Satpura National Park 1981
- Panna National Park 1981
- Sanjay National Park 1981
- Mandla Plant Fossils National Park 1983
State: Maharashtra ( National Parks: 6)
- Tadoba National Park 1955
- Gugamal National Park 1975
- Pench National Park 1975
- Navegaon National Park 1975
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park 1983
- Chandoli National Park 2004
State: Manipur ( National Parks: 1)
Keibul Lamjao National Park 1977
State: Meghalaya ( National Parks: 2)
- Balphakram National Park 1985
- Nokrek National Park 1986
State: Mizoram ( National Parks: 2)
- Murlen National Park 1991
- Phawngpui Blue Mountain National Park 1992
State: Nagaland ( National Parks: 1)
Intanki National Park 1993
State: Odisha ( National Parks: 2)
- Simlipal National Park 1980
- Bhitarkanika National Park 1988
State: Rajasthan ( National Parks: 5)
- Ranthambore National Park 1980
- Keoladeo Ghana National Park 1981
- Sariska National Park 1982
- Desert National Park 1992
- Mukundra Hills National Park 2006
State: Sikkim ( National Parks: 1)
Khangchendzonga National Park 1977
State: Tamil Nadu ( National Parks: 5)
- Guindy National Park 1976
- Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park 1980
- Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park 1989
- Mudumalai National Park 1990
- Mukurthi National Park 1990
State: Telangana ( National Parks: 3)
- Mahavir Harina Vanasthali National Park 1994
- Mrugavani National Park 1994
- Kasu Brahmananda Reddy National Park 1994
State: Tripura ( National Parks: 2)
- Bison (Rajbari) National Park 2007
- Clouded Leopard National Park 2007
State: Uttar Pradesh ( National Parks: 1)
Dudhwa National Park 1977
State: Uttarakhand ( National Parks: 6)
- Jim Corbett National Park 1936
- Nanda Devi National Park 1982
- Valley of Flowers National Park 1982
- Rajaji National Park 1983
- Gangotri National Park 1989
- Govind Pashu Vihar 1990
State: West Bengal ( National Parks: 6)
- Sundarbans National Park 1984
- Neora Valley National Park 1986
- Singalila National Park 1986
- Buxa National Park 1992
- Gorumara National Park 1992
- Jaldapara National Park 2014
Union Territory: Andaman & Nicobar ( National Parks: 9)
- Mahatma Gandhi Wandoor National Park 1983
- Mount Harriett National Park 1987
- Saddle Peak National Park 1987
- North Button Island National Park 1987
- Middle Button Island National Park 1987
- South Button Island National Park 1987
- Campbell Bay National Park 1992
- Galathea Bay National Park 1992
- Rani Jhansi Marine National Park 1996
Pages in the category National parks in Jammu and Kashmir
Here is a complete list of the Pages in the category 'National parks in Jammu and Kashmir' which will help you sketch out your summer holiday travel plan one by one.
The national park is well maintained and provides for a wide variety of visitors for a variety of services.
The following names of the national parks in Kashmir are clubbed together under one place so that travelers can get a complete list of what they will have to do. People here come to enjoy the majestic living creatures in their own natural habitat.
Top Five Surreal National Parks In Kashmir
1. Dachigam National Park: Dachigam National Park is at a distance of 23.7 KM. It was first designated as a protected area in 1910 and in 1981 this park was crowned as a national park which is home to numerous rare creatures. The area is near the railway station of Srinagar at a distance of 16 KM and 22.8 KM from the airport of Srinagar.
2. Hemis National Park: Hemis National Park is one of the high altitude parks in Ladakh. It is specifically known for harboring the largest population of snow leopards. There is a famous Hemis monastery that has surrounded the place for more than 400 years. Numerous trekking routes are available throughout the park all throughout the year. The place is nearest to Leh Airport which is 48.3 KM. And, this place is at a distance of 695 KM. The best time to visit is within June and October.
3. Kazinag National Park: Kazinag national Park is a part of the proposal that happens to be a trans-Karakoram peace park with Pakistan. The unique beauty of the place is highly in demand with 17 different species of butterflies and endangered animals. Moreover, the vanishing animal, the markhor is considered as the national animal of pakistan that is found here.
4. Kishtwar National Park: Kishtwar national Park is in the district of Kishtwar beside the river Rinnay. This is located in the north part of the national park. This national park is also the home to 16 mammals. Sometimes, during the migratory seasons, Hangul, Kashmir Stag, relocate from the Dachigam national park to live here.
5. Salim Ali National Park: Salim Ali national park is also renowned as City Forest national park. From this place you can get a spectacular view of the mountain ranges and peaks. Photographers and Travel lovers say that this place is picture-perfect when it comes to visiting Srinagar and Jammu & Kashmir. The park was named after the popular Indian ornithologist Salim Ali.
5 Must-see National Parks in Jammu and Kashmir – J&K National Parks
Download Now To see the pictures here.
National Parks in Jammu and Kashmir wildlife enthusiasts must visit
Complete List of National Parks & Wildlife Sanctuaries of Jammu and Kashmir
- Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Rajparian Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Baltal Thajiwas Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Overa Aru Wildlife Sanctuary- This sanctuary is close to Pahalgam.
National Parks and Wildlife sanctuaries of Jammu and Kashmir
More National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary Questions
Comment on the place below for asking questions on sanctuaries. And, please don’t forget to share your personal experience or pictures of the place if you have been to Srinagar and Jammu & Kashmir.
What Are The Names Of The Top Cities In Jammu and Kashmir?
- Katra Tehsil.
Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks in Jammu and Kashmir
Click on the link below to download the information about wildlife sanctuaries and national parks. Pictures are also available in this link for future references.
FACTS ABOUT DACHIGAM NATIONAL PARK
Location of the Park: Harwan Mughal Garden Dachigam Road, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir.
Timings of Visiting the Park: 8 AM- 6 PM
Best Time to Visit Dachigam National Park-
- September- December (lower Dachigam)
- May- August (Upper Dachigam)
Best Attractions: Hangul & Kashmir Stag
Ways to Reach:
- Nearest Station : Srinagar Airport (22 KM).
- Railway Station: Srinagar Railway Station (15 KM).
LATEST NEWS ON WILDLIFE SPECIES IN DACHIGAM NATIONAL PARK
For the latest news and videos, keep following our blogs on a regular basis. Dachigam National Park welcomes an endangered Deer species named Hangul. The government is thinking of conserving more wildlife species so that the country’s pride is not lost.
Hence the J&K government makes an effort to strengthen the life of the birds and animals through the Wildlife protection department. Besides this, the government has thought of announcing the areas to be an eco sensitive zone so that tourists and daily visitors do not harm the animals or the birds anyhow.
Wildlife Sanctuaries in The Region Of Jammu
Here’s a detailed list of wildlife sanctuaries and parks in the Jammu & Kashmir Region
- Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Rajparian Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Baltal Thajiwas Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Overa Aru Wildlife Sanctuary.
Here are the names of wildlife sanctuaries present in Ladakh
There are 3 popular wildlife sanctuaries in Ladakh.
- Hemis National Park.
- Ladakh-Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife.
- Karakoram Wildlife Sanctuary.
Please Note: Ladakh is popularly known for the high population with vulnerable species related to snow leopards. And, the best time to catch the sights of seeing snow leopards is said to be a very shy animal. They dwell in the Alpine and Subalpine zonal points. They are seen to move at an elevation of 3500 to 5200 meters.
How To Plan Your Trip To Dachigam National Park?
You can take the rail route/ Air Route/Road route to explore the pristine natural beauty of Dachigam National Park. If you travel by air, then Srinagar Airport is the nearest airport in this place. If you choose to travel by train then the nearest station at the railways will be Dachigam or jammu Tawi railway station.
But, then if you choose the Road to reach the national park then you must choose the Srinagar Main Road. It is well connected to Jammu and Other two towns by private and public buses and pool cars as well.
Dachigam National Park Tourism (estd. 1981)
Dachigam National Park, Srinagar, J&K.
Address: 42PQ+V4C, Dachigam Road, Near Harwan Mughal garden. Pincode: 191202.
Time to visit: 5:30 AM to 6:30 PM
Which Are The Top Hotels In Dachigam National Park?
Rah Bagh Orchid-Luxury Boutique Hotel
Orchard Resort & Spa
The lalit Grand palace Srinagar
Bookings start from a lowest price of Rs. 9,563/- and it can be made from online hotel apps. Airbnb places are also available at lowest prices which are mainly considered as homestays.
More Information on Dachigam National Park
The area is regarded for its home to multiple and diverse species of animals. National Park is particularly known for its distinctive features where Hangul happens to be the state animal with the best residence.
Tourist spots offer activities like bird watching with popular features. In addition to this, there are snow leopards. Here in this place there are ways where people can get authentic guesthouses and monasteries of the place. And, snow leopards can also be spotted in the late winters of the place.
There are related posts about Dachigam National Park available in the place where tourists can read and share their views.
Restaurants and Local Food in Dachigam National Park
- Radha Ki Rasoi, Srinagar.
- Hotel Mughal Darbar & Restaurant.
- Nathu Sweets, Srinagar.
- Bistro Boulevard Pincer Foods.
- Kareem’s Restaurant.
- Lhasa restaurant.
- Vishal vaishno Dhaba.
- Earthen Oven Restaurant.
- AI-Ajwa Restaurant.
- Sakoon the Restaurant.
- Chiliz The Pizza Shop.
What is the Suggested Itinerary for Dachigam National Park?
Day 1: Arrival at Srinagar.
Day 2: Explore Srinagar- the abode of peace.
Day 3: Visit Sonmarg- National Parks in J&K.
Day 4: Srinagar-Gulmarg trip.
Day 5: Pahalgam trip.
Day 6: Dachigam national park trip.
Day 7: Departure from Srinagar to your Destination.
Ways to Reach Dachigam National Park-
How to reach Dachigam National Park by flight?
Air Route: Srinagar International Airport is well connected to the major cities in the country. There are local airlines and carriers like Air India, IndiGo, and Spice Jet Airways that have direct flights from Delhi and other cities. The price of the ticket starts from 3516/-. The distance is 40 KM from SK. Ul Alam International Airport Srinagar.
How to reach Dachigam National Park by road?
Road Route: The best way to reach Dachigam is one of the best ways to enjoy the views on the way to the city while traveling on road. The road route is also popularly connected through a network of roads from Chandigarh. Other places that roads connect are- Sonmarg, Dachigam, Delhi, Pahalgam, and Jammu. The price of the road route starts from Rs. 350/-. It takes 22 KM from Lal Chowk Srinagar.
How to reach Dachigam National Park by train?
Rail Route: The nearest railway station is Dachigam. This area is connected to the majority of the cities. Once you reach the railway station taxis are available at the stand. The price of the ticket on the rail route is rs. 100/- (General Class) and 500/- (AC Chair Car).
There are pool taxis available for all connecting places. It is still around 310 KM from Dachigam, you will need to take the pool taxi to reach Dachigam. It takes 32 KM from Srinagar Station for rail.
Jammu Tawi or Udhampur railway station is the correct destination of the place. There are also local trains as well as mail trains available in the areas. Besides this one can easily get through the places by booking a shared cab all over.
Local transport in Dachigam National Park
The local transport to the Dachigam national park is pool cabs, taxis, and local trains from connected places. The price of the fare starts from 100/- and the place is open throughout the year. It is best to visit the place between April and August.
Here is the list of Top 14 Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks in Jammu and Kashmir:
- Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Hirpora Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Lachipora Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Overa Aru Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Rajpurian Dakshum Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Limber Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Karakoram Shyok Nubra Sanctuary.
- Nandini Wildlife sanctuary.
- Hokesar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Thajwas Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Trikuta Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Ramnagar Rakh Wildlife Sanctuary.
Where Can I Get The Best Dachigam National Park Photos?
The photos of the Dachigam National Park can be downloaded from the online website. Dachigam National Park Photos are available on the internet. It will be best if you can go through the travel vlogs in the youtube channels too for more details.
Click the link below.